Before we introduce ourselves, we would like to get to know you.
If you are:
- Working a 9-5 job, studying, or hustling on the side
- Aiming to live a more balanced and happier life but aren’t exactly sure how to get there
- Wondering if this blog is going to be all about kale and quinoa (it’s not)
…then pull up a chair, grab a cup of tea and come sit with us.
In this community, we will be sharing our thoughts and ideas on how we can “flourish” in today’s busy world of never ending notifications, jam packed schedules and overwhelming to-do lists. Life can get really stressful sometimes, so we hope that this blog serves as a reminder to keep everything balanced.
We’re Vanessa and Stephanie, cubicle buddies working the 9-5 grind in downtown Toronto.
Over the past few years, we’ve evolved from fast-food eating, overworked and stressed out millennials into people who now won’t leave the house without our green smoothies and constantly bug our co-workers to join us for 3pm stretch breaks. But don’t be fooled- we still don’t take ourselves too seriously and will fight you for that last slice of pizza if we have to!
So how did this happen?
Through the power of small but meaningful changes, we’ve found that in order to lead happier and healthier lives, in other words “flourish,” the key is to balance. We try to balance everything from:
- Eating salads but not feeling guilty when we reach for a brownie
- Working hard at our jobs but remembering to take frequent breaks
- Furiously answering emails during the day but also knowing when to turn off our notifications
- Exercising a few times a week but also enjoying lounging out on the couch
So what is a cubicle buddy exactly?
A cubicle buddy is that person you see for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. It’s that person who:
- Understands when you go on and on about how there are no good ballpoint pens at work
- Knows all the dirt on your friend’s annoying husband
- Sends you The Office memes while you’re frantically trying to finish typing up meeting minutes
- Tells you it’s not that bad when you accidentally send a draft email to 15 people
- Knows how many times you will go to bathroom once you get caught up in that vicious coffee/I-need-to-pee cycle
Best of all, it’s that person you decide to start an Instagram account with one day while eating your afternoon snack (apple slices dipped in peanut butter).
Through our own journey of finding balance, we hope to motivate you to make small tweaks in your daily life to help you reach the lifestyle you’ve always wanted.
If this sounds good to you, check back every Monday and Wednesday for new posts and subscribe to our newsletter!
Vanessa & Stephanie